Flyers-Islanders Preview: Home-and-Home Shifts to Philly
Less than 24 hours after meeting for the first time this season, the Flyers and New York Islanders are right back at it. This time, they will take the ice at Wells Fargo Center, as the Flyers try to avoid being on the cusp on another double-digit losing streak.
The Flyers' streak hit eight games on Monday with the 4-1 loss on Long Island. Meanwhile, the Islanders are just starting to make up some ground in games played, and the distance between them and the Flyers is rapidly decreasing.
Game time is 7 p.m.
|Philadelphia Flyers||GP||G||A||P||New York Islanders||GP||G||A||P|
|Claude Giroux||35||11||18||29||Mathew Barzal||28||7||15||22|
|Cam Atkinson||38||15||13||28||Oliver Wahlstrom||29||8||8||16|
|Travis Konecny||36||6||15||21||Brock Nelson||22||11||4||15|
|Sean Couturier||29||6||11||17||Josh Bailey||25||2||13||15|
|Joel Farabee||31||11||6||17||Noah Dobson||29||5||9||14|
Monday's game was a rough one for Cam Atkinson. Not only was he held off the scoresheet for the second straight game, he was also a minus-3. In the last five games, Atkinson has a minus-8 rating, despite continuing to provide offense with a pair of goals and pair of assists.
Brock Nelson got back onto the scoresheet after two games without a point by scoring a goal and posting an assist in the win on Monday. While he has just two goals and two assists since his return from injury on Dec. 11, he continues to be among the Islanders leaders this season in point production.
Carter Hart gets the start in goal for the Flyers. Hart's personal losing streak reached five games against the Rangers on Saturday, despite making 24 saves on 27 shots. With the exception of a loss to the Penguins on Jan. 6, Hart remains consistent in his performances, having allowing three goals or less in seven of his last eight starts.
Semyon Varlamov is expected to get the call for the Islanders. Varlamov made his return to the crease on Jan. 15 for the first time in over two weeks, taking the loss despite allowing just one goal on 35 shots. Varlamov has won two of his last three starts and allowed just one goal in each of them.
Flyers Scratches: Sean Couturier (injury), Ryan Ellis (injury), Nate Thompson (injury), Derick Brassard (injury), Kevin Connauton (healthy), Nick Seeler (healthy)
Islanders Scratches: Ryan Pulock (COVID protocol), Ross Johnston (suspended), Kyle Palmieri (injury), Sebastian Aho (healthy)
- Flyers: No changes are expected to the Flyers lineup.
- Islanders: Outside of the goalie change, no other changes to the Islanders lineup from Monday's game.
- Power Play: Flyers (28th), Islanders (22nd)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (19th), Islanders (10th)
- Recent History vs. Islanders
- Jan. 17, 2022 - Islanders 4, Flyers 1 (at NYI)
- Flyers Leaders vs. Islanders
- Claude Giroux - 61 GP, 21 G, 43 A, 64 P
- Cam Atkinson - 28 GP, 14 G, 12 A, 26 P
- Keith Yandle - 26 GP, 4 G, 18 A, 22 P
- James van Riemsdyk - 46 GP, 11 G, 22 A, 33 P
- Carter Hart - 7 GP, 2-3-2, 3.61 GAA, .868 SV%
- Milestone Watch
- Travis Sanheim needs five points to reach 100 for his career.
Where to Watch
Radio: Flyers Broadcast Network